While you use our Site, we are processing your Personal Information. You have the right to know what we do with it and the choices you have over your Personal Information.
- When we say “we”, “us” and “our”, we are referring to Soroptimist International of the Americas®, Inc., as the organization that is responsible for ensuring that your Personal Information is collected, used, and disclosed in compliance with applicable regulations;
- When we say “you”, “user” or “individual(s)”, we are referring to the person accessing our Site and using our services;
- When we say “service providers”, we are referring to third-party organizations that process your Personal Information on our behalf.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy, please feel free to contact Lisa Mangiafico:
- By email at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- By phone at 215-893-9000;
- By mail at: 1709 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103, United States
- What Personal Information we are collecting and in what circumstances we collect it;
- The purposes for which we collect and use your Personal Information;
- The categories of organizations to whom we may disclose your Personal Information;
- How we obtain your consent;
- How long we retain your Personal Information;
- How we safeguard your Personal Information;
- Where your Personal Information is transferred;
- How we ensure that your Personal Information remains accurate;
- What are your rights and how you can exercise them;
- How we deal with children’s privacy;
- How we remain accountable and how you can challenge our compliance.
We endorse the Donor Bill of Rights, created by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits. The Donor Bill of Rights can be found here or go the AFP website, www.afpnet.org and click on Ethics.
1. What Personal Information do we collect and in what circumstances do we collect it?
We collect your Personal Information under the following circumstances:
- You provide it to us directly; or
- We collect it by using automated means.
1.1. The Personal Information you provide us directly
In short: During the various interactions we have with you, you may be required to provide us with Personal Information. For example, we collect Personal Information when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site, when you report a problem with our Site. The Personal Information we collect may vary whether you purchase products and services from us, or if you are a member, donor, subscriber, or a simple user of our Site.
In detail: The Personal Information you provide to us directly are the following:
- Identifiers and profile information, i.e., real name, alias, online identifier, IP address, email address, date of birth;
- Financial information, i.e., credit/debit card and account numbers used to pay dues, register for events, purchase materials, or make donations, newsletter subscriptions either in-person or via our Site;
- Demographic information, i.e., postal address, province, country of residence, telephone number, business address, personal address, government identification numbers (i.e., driver license or passport number);
- Engagement information, such as information on your membership (year of admission), purchases of event registration, branded jewelry, clothing, or other personal use articles, information concerning the type and time of the donation that you made, and information concerning digital advocacy actions and volunteer opportunities that you have taken on our site;
- User Content, such as content of communications, suggestions, questions, comments, feedback, and other information you send to us, that you provide to us when you contact us, or that you post on our Site.
1.2. Personal information we collect automatically when you use our Site
In short: During each of your visits on our Site, we collect information about you via automated means, such as embedded scripts, web beacons, and cookies (“tracking technologies”). For example, cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile applications by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, and to provide organizations with information on you and on your browsing activities.
In detail: Cookies and other tracking technologies give us access to the following Personal Information:
- Identifiers of the equipment you use (IP address of your computer);
- type of operating system;
- type and version of the browser software;
- dates and times of connection to our services;
- address of the originating Internet page ("referrer");
- browsing data on our services, content viewed;
- information relating to your use of our sites;
- information relating to the presence of cookies on your terminal; and
- location information.
Our Site uses Third Party Cookies from several service providers. Below we have included some basic information about the Third Party Cookies in use on our sites, how they are used, and links to their Privacy Policies should you wish to learn more or adjust your preferences.
Our Site uses Google Analytics which sets a cookie to track user behavior, demographics, and interest data to help measure our audience and understand how visitors are using our sites.
Our Site uses Google Ads which implements cookies to serve ads, personalize ads, and measure ad performance, based on your visits to our sites. You may opt out of personalized advertising from Google by visiting https://myadcenter.google.com.
Our Site uses Facebook Pixel and Facebook Custom Audiences to deliver targeted advertisements to individuals who visit our websites and to track conversions on our website resulting from Facebook advertisements. You may learn more about how to adjust your ad preferences from Facebook/Meta by visiting https://www.facebook.com/help/1075880512458213.
Our Site uses Fundraise Up as an online donation platform. Non-Personal Information that is collected remains anonymous or non-personally identifiable. All Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is encrypted. Financial information such as banking information or credit card number, name, CVV code or date of expiration, is collected and stored by a third party payment processor. Financial information is not stored by Fundraise Up.
Our Site uses Squarespace which places functional and required cookies to securely serve this website to you, and analytics and performance cookies to track site traffic, activity, and other data.
Our Site uses WordPress which places functional and required cookies to securely serve this website to you, and analytics and performance cookies to track site traffic, activity, and other data.
Our Site uses AddThis, a social sharing tool that allows visitors to share content from our blog to social media platforms. AddThis may collect information such as IP addresses, device specifications, date and time of your site visit, behavior on site, and referring URL.
Unbounce is a landing page management service provided by Unbounce Marketing Solutions Inc., that allows us to collect the personal information of visitors interested in receiving our communications.
Our Site uses Quantserve.com to create web beacons and cookies to see how many views we get, what age range the people viewing are likely to be in, and what income they are likely to generate (demographic data). Quantcast uses anonymous tracking and does not collect personally identifiable information.
Our Site uses Hubspot for website hosting, which may set tracking cookies when a visitor lands on our site to understand their behavior better.
Our Site uses Action Network to host virtual petitions on our website. Cookies may be set to collect data such as your IP address and device specifications. When you submit a petition on our sites powered by Action Network, your personal information is not shared with Action Network unless you choose to create a profile with them.
Our Site uses Typeform to host certain forms that collect user data. The cookies Typeform uses are small text files that store data made available by your web browser, such as language preference. This information helps us give you a better experience.
Our Site uses Jotform, which employs cookies and web beacons to collect anonymized data about website visitors to track performance. When you submit responses through a Jotform form on our site, Jotform collects and stores responses privately but does not use that data without our consent.
Our Site uses Codepen.io to run custom style codes that display certain features on our blog including a secondary navigation bar. It sets a cookie to gather information about your device specifications so it can display correctly.
Our Site uses Weglot to provide automated translations of web content to our visitors. Weglot sets a language cookie to detect and remember your browser language preferences.
2. For what purposes do we collect and use your Personal Information?
In short: We collect Personal Information for business or commercial purposes.
In detail: We must have a pre-defined objective to collect your Personal Information. We process your Personal Information for the following purposes.
- Business purposes:
- Performing our services (e.g., maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying your information, processing payment, notifying you about changes to our membership service);
- Auditing our interactions with you (counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, ensuring that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer);
- Security (detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious or fraudulent activity, and prosecuting offenders, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical purposes);
- Debugging and repairing our system, improving our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer or device;
- Providing you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us, organizing events that you have purchased or registered for, and providing you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- Providing you with our newsletter, and other publications provided you have given your consent, responding to your questions and provide related membership services.
- Commercial purposes:
- Sending of information on our activity, on our publications;
- Providing you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- Evaluating your eligibility for a Live Your Dream Award, and to communicate with you regarding your application or to follow-up if you are the recipient of an award;
- Publicizing you as an award recipient or program participant, and only if you have given us written consent to do so;
- Sending of marketing, advertising and promotional offers relating to our products and services by e-mail and social media tools;
- Personalized customer loyalty or prospecting actions;
- Setting up of contests or other promotional operations;
- Collection of member/stakeholder and customer opinions;
- Development of member or trade statistics; and
- Setting up of contests or other promotional or event operations with commercial partners.
3. To whom do we disclose your Personal Information and for what purposes?
In short: In certain circumstances, we disclose your Personal Information to external organizations (e.g., our service providers, our business partners…) or public authorities. We do not sell, rent or disclose your Personal Information to any third party if you choose to opt-out from that sale. If you are a Canadian resident, we do not disclose your Personal Information for commercial purposes without your consent.
In detail: We have disclosed your Personal Information to the categories of recipients listed below in the past 12 months:
- Disclosure for Business purposes:
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have shared your Personal Information to the following categories of service providers:
- data analytics providers and operating systems and platforms, that help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership services and program services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, program application portals, web analytics and payment processing);
- a member of our group, including clubs and regions for their performance of membership services, program services or fundraising.
Our service providers have access to your Personal Information for operating certain functions of our Site. Your information will be treated with the same level of privacy and security as we are committed to providing and will not be used for other purposes than that which we authorize.
- Disclosure for commercial purposes:
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have sold your Personal Information to the following categories of third parties.
- advertising networks;
- marketing partners and business affiliates; and
- data analytics providers.
If you decide to subscribe to the products or services of our business partners and you allow them to access some of your information, in particular by logging into their sites or applications, their privacy policies will be applicable to you. We have no control over the collection, use and disclosure of your information when carried out by our business partners on their own website.
Information concerning donors or prospective donors, including their names, addresses, and telephone numbers, the names of their beneficiaries, total amount of their gifts, etc., is kept strictly confidential by us, by our Board of Directors, our Fundraising Council and our Donor Relations Taskforce. Donor information is shared with leaders only on a need-to-know basis.
We provide social proof of non-anonymous donors on our Site, through our annual report, newsletters and other acknowledgements. However, we honor a donor’s request to remain anonymous and assure that their name, the amount of their gift, or other information will not be publicly released.
- Public authorities, judicial or administrative authorities
We may disclose your Personal Information when we are required or authorized by law to cooperate with local, national or international law enforcement or other authorities for the reporting of and/or investigation of improper or unlawful activities, or if we need to comply with court orders.
4. How do we obtain your consent?
In short: In some situations, we will obtain your consent before we collect, use or disclose Personal Information. There are also some situations where we are authorized by law to do so without your consent. In determining the appropriate form of consent, we will take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and your reasonable expectations.
In detail: We will collect your express consent when you provide us Personal Information voluntarily after we have presented you with the purpose of the collection of our information. It can be given in writing or verbally.
When we rely on your express consent, you will always be prompted to take a clear affirmative action so that we can ensure that you agree with the collection of your Personal Information. This action may, for example, take the form of a checkbox.
Before obtaining your consent, we will systematically inform you of the purposes of the collection, use and disclosure.
5. How long do we keep your Personal Information?
In short: We will not retain your Personal Information indefinitely. Our retention periods vary depending on whether we have an ongoing contractual relationship with you (you are a member, donor, subscriber), whether we had a contractual relationship with you in the past (you are an inactive member, donor, subscriber) or whether you are a user of our Site.
In detail: When retention of your personal information is no longer justified by legal, commercial or customer account management requirements, or if you have made use of a right of erasure, we will securely delete your personal information. For example, the Personal Information we collect from applicants of the Live Your Dream Award is retained for up to one year.
However, we will retain your personal information for long as it is necessary to meet our legal obligations according to the main retention periods of applicable laws that we are subject to.
If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your Personal Information to provide you service, please contact us at email@example.com.
6. How do we safeguard your personal information?
In short: Your Personal Information is important to us, and we take all useful precautions, with regards to the risks created by the processing that we carry out, to preserve the security of your personal information and, to prevent their alteration and damage, or any access by non-authorized third parties. These safeguards include physical, organizational and technical measures.
In detail: We apply strict standards to protect the Personal Information under our control against unauthorized or unlawful processing, and against unintentional loss, destruction, or damage. We therefore take technical and organizational measures, such as firewalls, SSL certificates, and IP restriction, to prevent and detect inappropriate access, loss or disclosure of your Personal Information. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Information against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
In the unlikely and unfortunate case that the Personal Information under our control is compromised by a breach of information security, we will immediately act to identify the cause of such breach and take action through appropriate remedial measures. If necessary, we will inform you, as well as any competent data protection authorities, of this incident in accordance with any applicable legislation.
7. Do we transfer your Personal Information outside Canada (for Canadian residents only) or Japan (for Japanese residents only)?
In short: We are headquartered the United States, and our servers are located in the U.S. as well. Information and data provided will be transferred to our headquarters in the U.S. In addition, our partners as well as third party service providers that process or store your Personal Information on our behalf are located outside of Canada and Japan.
In detail: Unless there is a legal or regulatory requirement to store, access and/or use Personal Information in Canada and Japan, we may use third party platforms located outside of Canada or Japan to process and/or store Personal Information for us.
Please note that Personal Information in the custody of these third-party platforms may be subject to access by the law enforcement authorities of U.S. jurisdictions in which the third parties are located.
8. How do we ensure that the personal information we hold on you is accurate?
In short: We will ensure that the personal information we hold on you is complete, and up-to-date. You may request that we correct any errors or omissions by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting the club/member update feature in the members-only section of www.soroptimist.org.
In detail: We have established internal procedures to preserve the accuracy of the personal information that we receive. If you believe that the Personal Information we collect, use and disclose is not accurate, you can send us a request to correct Personal Information. This request must be made in writing and to email@example.com. You should provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
We will update Personal Information as and when necessary to fulfill the identified purposes, or upon your notification.
We will note in your file any unresolved differences as to accuracy or completeness. Where appropriate, we will transmit to third parties having access to the Personal Information in question, any amended information or request for amendment.
9. How can you exercise your rights of access and deletion?
In short: Subject to certain exceptions and restrictions, you have the right to ask us to delete your Personal Information, or to provide you with information on the Personal Information that we have collected, including information on our sources of collection, the business and commercial purposes for which the Personal Information was collected, and the categories of third parties with whom this information has been shared.
In detail: If you wish to exercise your rights of access and deletion you may do so by visiting the club/member update feature in the members-only section of www.soroptimist.org, or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by a mail at 1709 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
Making a verifiable request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify your identity or authority to make the request. To initially verify your identity, we will use the following Personal Information: name, email and other contact information if provided.
If we cannot initially verify your identity, we may request additional information to complete the verification process, such as email address, phone number, state or government issue ID.
You may designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights on your behalf. We may ask you or the agent to provide proof that the agent has received your authorization to act on your behalf, such as a written and duly signed certificate stating you authorize the agent to act on your behalf.
We will respond to your request within 45 days of its receipt (30 days if you are a Canadian resident). If we require more time (up to 90 days if you are a U.S. resident), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
If we are authorized or required by applicable legislation to refuse access or to give you access to a limited amount of Personal Information, we will inform you in writing, stating the reasons for our refusal and outlining further steps that are available to you.
10. How can you ask us not to sell your Personal Information or to opt out of receiving commercial messages from us?
In detail: If you prefer not to receive commercial messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at email@example.com.
We will not discriminate you in case you decide to exercise your rights, which means that we will not:
- Deny you goods or services;
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties;
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services;
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
With respect to the right to opt-out from receiving promotional communications from us, please allow ten (10) business days for your request to be processed. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you may continue to receive transactional and product-related messages from us regarding our services.
Special notice for Soroptimist members serving in SIA leadership positions:
While acknowledging your right to opt-out of receiving promotional or information communications from us, Soroptimist members who hold elected or appointed positions on the SIA Board of Directors, Fundraising Council, Region Governors and Governors-elect, and other positions as may be determined and communicated, have a special obligation and expectation as noted in internal position descriptions to have an active email subscribed to SIA’s email network to ensure they are receiving information regarding SIA’s member activities in a timely manner in order to carry out the duties to which they have been elected or appointed.
11. How about children's privacy?
In short: We do not provide services directly to children and proactively collect their personal information.
In detail: We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13.
12. What happens if we make changes to this Policy?
13.How do we remain accountable and how can you challenge our compliance?
In short: We have established procedures for addressing and responding to all inquiries and complaints you may have regarding our handling of your personal information. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In detail: We will investigate all complaints concerning compliance with this Policy in a timely manner. If a complaint is found to be justified, we shall take appropriate measures to resolve the complaint including, if necessary, amending its policies and procedures.
If we are unable to resolve the concern, and you are a US resident, you may write to the Federal Trade Commission at https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
If we are unable to resolve the concern, and you are a Canadian resident, you may write to:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30, Victoria Street
If we are unable to resolve the concern, and you are a Japanese resident, you may contact:
Personal Information Protection Commission
Kasumigaseki Common Gate West Tower 32nd Floor,
3-2-1, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,
Tokyo, 100-0013, Japan